Skip to main content

think it over...

Nothing was harder for a woman in love to endure and nothing was stronger proof of the character of the man than his restraint of power...

this is one of the lines from the book Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. just wanted to share some of the lines that somehow struck me... ^_^ it made me realize some things.. hehehe..

Unless a man is prepared to ask a woman to be his wife, what right has he to claim her exclusive attention? Unless she has been asked to marry him, why would a sensible woman promise any man her exclusive attention? If, when the time has come for a commitment, he is not man enough to ask her to marry him, she should give him no reason to presume that she belongs to him.

There must be a splitting and a breaking in order for a bud to form.

There is no ongoing spiritual life without this process of letting go. At the precise point where we refuse, growth stops. If we hold tightly to anything given to us, unwilling to let it go when the time comes to let it go or unwilling to allow it to be used as the Giver means it to be used, we stunt the growth of the soul.

It's easy to make a mistake here. "If God gave it to me," we say, "it's mine. I can do what I want with it." No. The truth is, that it is ours to thank Him for and ours to offer it back to Him, ours to relinquish, ours to lose, ours to let go of --if we want to find our true selves, if we want real Life, if our hearts are set on glory.

The more you perceive God's purpose in your life, the less terrible will the losses seem.

Love interprets things in favor of the one loved. . .There's nothing love cannot face; there is no limit to its faith, its hope, and its endurance.

Love must be patient when it is tempted (by the delays of other people) to be impatient. Love must not be selfish, even if other people are. Love does not take offence, though people are offensive sometimes. There are wrongs, but love won't keep score. There are things to be faced, but nothing love can't face, things to try love's faith, discourage its hope, and call for its endurance; but it keeps right on trusting; hoping, and enduring. Love never ends.

and this one's a sweet line from Jim Elliot in one of his letter so Elisabeth
Good-night, my brave lover, and may the God who loves you stronger than I stand guard over you through the night.

May God preserve us for His time.

Anyone who is in Christ is a new creation.. the old has gone.. the new has come...

-Passion and Purity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issues of the mom-heart

I've read somewhere that everyone's miserable. They're just good at hiding it. I have been trying to find out why this new season seems to be a burden to me. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy motherhood and I love my little one but something seems to be blocking my view of experiencing it joyfully.  Callie's already 10 months and everything just dawned on me -- why I was struggling, why I can't see things the way it should be, why I felt ineffective and frustrated and depressed. I think I just had post-partum depression.  I just got back from my US business trip and I just bursted into tears a few days after while singing Jesus loves me -- as if I'm telling that to myself. I'm grateful that I have a husband who listens and understands and encourages me that I can do it! I just realized the root cause(s) of what's going on after that incident. I was too attached to Callie that I don't want her to leave my site when I'm with her. I

Maturity

I was reading a long-overdue-book and I bumped into this: I have been married for almost two years now and I suddenly reminisced my late teenage years... It was in those years when God made me realize that maturity doesn't come with age... I was younger then, when I understood this very excerpt from the book Let Me Be a Woman (funny how everything He taught me is already in this book had I not stopped reading it! Indeed His humor is amazing). I started reading this way back 2007 or 2008 only to continue it now and read this now. I stopped reading it way back then because I don't have plans of getting married yet... little did I know that He will make me understand this in His own personal way. And right now, I was like, "So Lord, You must be saying, 'I told you so..' right?" haha! ...  The key to meeting your better half starts with maturity. And maturity comes from God.   To those who are still searching for their better half, don't. Don&#

Thoughts

Exodus Moses brought Joseph's bones out of Egypt when God freed them. Joseph made his family swear under oath that when God pays them a visit, they have to carry his bones with them. Joseph mentioned that surely, God will take them to the land He promised Abraham, Isaac & Jacob. Maybe, Joseph's brothers tell this to their sons & daughters so even after x number of years, they are still reminded of Joseph's request. The Israelites know that the time will come when God will take them out of Egypt but maybe they just didn't believe so He needed Moses to perform the miracles, that they might know Him, trust Him and believe in Him. Sometimes, we know what God said and what God promised us... but when it's already in front of us, it's hard to determine that God is already moving. Why? Because we are comfortable with the misery that we are in to. It dulls our senses and makes us forget the promise of God. Be careful with where you are right now.