Skip to main content

"I always need to be reminded of how sinful I am"

These are the words from my Victory Group Leader last Saturday during our Victory Group.. .

Lately, I just can't help but stand in awe of Him as I look at these people.. . How humble they are and how transparent they can be. Plus the fact that they're not ashamed of admitting their weaknesses.

I had this habit before of revealing my struggles to my peers or my co-leaders or to selected people only.. . And after hearing this, I was thinking, why was I afraid of showing my weakness to those around me? Why should I always have to show the image that I am strong when in fact, I do undergo trials and "thumping" seasons?

Then I was reminded of what Elizabeth Elliot wrote to her daughter (from the book Let Me Be a Woman). She said that she (Valerie, her daughter), once she got married, should always remind herself that she married a sinner. Because of your always being together, you'd think that he's Mr. Right and he can never be wrong. That's the reason why most of the time, we take it against the other person whenever he commits mistakes when in fact, it is his nature to commit mistakes because we are all sinners.

And yes, we are all sinners. That applies to us as well. We are sinners saved by Grace. And without grace, we will not have a single chance to be with Him in heaven. We need to remind ourselves of who we really are--sinners saved by Grace. Why? Because when we know our place, if we know our position, we will then know how to honor God (Ptr. Steve Murrell's preaching about Honor). If we will remind ourselves that we are sinners saved by Grace, our love for Him will increase tenfold. If we remind ourselves that we are sinners saved by Grace, we will remain humble. We are not God. We fall short. We commit mistakes. We are sinners. Don't be afraid to show to others that you are weak and that you are struggling (Abraham, a man of faith, failed God as well when he listened to Sarah and slept with Hagar). You just don't know how liberating it would be for them, knowing that you have struggles and you only rely on the grace of God. They will learn that they are human and that you are human as well, you need God in the same way they need Him. Building relationships will not be hard then.

I was also reminded of what Darlene Zschech said, "We can't get good at anything.. . We can't get good at worship and we're not here to become professional singers. We always need to be hungry for God. We are not designed to receive glory but to give glory." We always have that tendency to show to others that we are strong and that we are good at what we're doing.. . But we're not. For all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God. It is only because of Him, because of His grace, that we can sing, shout, dance, jump, breathe, live and have a meaning.

We always need to be reminded of how sinful we are .. . so that we will always be at the foot of Jesus begging for more of Him.. . more of His grace.. . ^^,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Issues of the mom-heart

I've read somewhere that everyone's miserable. They're just good at hiding it. I have been trying to find out why this new season seems to be a burden to me. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy motherhood and I love my little one but something seems to be blocking my view of experiencing it joyfully.  Callie's already 10 months and everything just dawned on me -- why I was struggling, why I can't see things the way it should be, why I felt ineffective and frustrated and depressed. I think I just had post-partum depression.  I just got back from my US business trip and I just bursted into tears a few days after while singing Jesus loves me -- as if I'm telling that to myself. I'm grateful that I have a husband who listens and understands and encourages me that I can do it! I just realized the root cause(s) of what's going on after that incident. I was too attached to Callie that I don't want her to leave my site when I'm with her. I

Maturity

I was reading a long-overdue-book and I bumped into this: I have been married for almost two years now and I suddenly reminisced my late teenage years... It was in those years when God made me realize that maturity doesn't come with age... I was younger then, when I understood this very excerpt from the book Let Me Be a Woman (funny how everything He taught me is already in this book had I not stopped reading it! Indeed His humor is amazing). I started reading this way back 2007 or 2008 only to continue it now and read this now. I stopped reading it way back then because I don't have plans of getting married yet... little did I know that He will make me understand this in His own personal way. And right now, I was like, "So Lord, You must be saying, 'I told you so..' right?" haha! ...  The key to meeting your better half starts with maturity. And maturity comes from God.   To those who are still searching for their better half, don't. Don&#

Thoughts

Exodus Moses brought Joseph's bones out of Egypt when God freed them. Joseph made his family swear under oath that when God pays them a visit, they have to carry his bones with them. Joseph mentioned that surely, God will take them to the land He promised Abraham, Isaac & Jacob. Maybe, Joseph's brothers tell this to their sons & daughters so even after x number of years, they are still reminded of Joseph's request. The Israelites know that the time will come when God will take them out of Egypt but maybe they just didn't believe so He needed Moses to perform the miracles, that they might know Him, trust Him and believe in Him. Sometimes, we know what God said and what God promised us... but when it's already in front of us, it's hard to determine that God is already moving. Why? Because we are comfortable with the misery that we are in to. It dulls our senses and makes us forget the promise of God. Be careful with where you are right now.